Calendar of Events:
*Please keep in mind that due to weather and a whole host of other reasons, the dates of events may change or an event may even be canceled. If there is any doubt, call before you haul.
Please send us your upcoming events! Send an e-mail with the particulars to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘KHC Calendar’ in the subject line. You may also send events to: KHC Events, 8831 Quail Lane, Suite 201, Manhattan, KS 66502.
♦The Kansas Expocentre, the official sponsor of the KHC, offers a full calendar of events of interest to equestrians. Click here for more info:
♦ Flying W Ranch in the Kansas Flint Hills has a 2016 calendar full of dates for Cattle Drives, Trail Rides, Bringing Home the Remuda, the Rodeo Weekend, Moonlight Rides, and more! Ride their ranch horses or bring your own. Experience the Tallgrass Prairie and Cowboy Culture in the heart of the Flint Hills. For more info: www.flinthillsflyingw.com, email@example.com, or call Gwen at 620-340-2802.
♦ North East Kansas Small Area Group (NEKSAG) is a family friendly competitive horse show environment with many 4-H members placing at the State Fair each year. www.neksaganythinghorses.com
♦ Douglas County Trail Riders offers a wide range of activities and educational events including trail rides, horse shows, cowboy challenge courses, clinics, parades, fundraisers, community service, social events and parties. See our upcoming events at www.dctr.org or follow us on Facebook.
♦ Gyp Hills Trail Rides, near Medicine Lodge, is open to campers and riders 365 days a year. Visitors are given a map that details 10,000 acres of open trails. Guided rides are offered for groups of 20 or more, as well as access to the air-conditioned Cowboy Cafe. Ride on your own for $10/day per person; you provide your own equine, tack, and camping equipment. For more information on riding on your own or Gyp Hills organized rides, go to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Robert Larson, 620-886-9822.
♦The Ultimate Horseman’s Challenge Association (UHCA) has 8 exciting obstacle challenge events scheduled for 2016. See the schedule and contact information at www.ultimatehca.com. End of the year awards are fantastic. Our budget includes approximately $7,000 for prizes awarded to members at the Annual Meeting and Banquet. In addition to those we also anticipate awarding of two saddles donated by loyal sponsors. These events are for ages 5 upwards. Our events are also sanctioned for EXCA points which can be qualify the rider for the EXCA World Championships in Hamilton, Texas.
- 26-28 KCDA Gathering & Regional Show, sponsored by Kansas Cowboy Dressage Asso, Kansas Expocentre, Topeka. Find more information on KCDA on Facebook or at www.kansascowboydressage.com.
- 26-28 PondaRosa Women’s Horse Retreat, 1000 S. Lorraine, Hutchinson. Bring your own horse or use one of ours and spend the weekend bonding with horses and other women. Bring a friend! Meals and lodging provided. Friday – 6pm, Check-in, Meet & Greet, Supper. Saturday – 8am, breakfast; 10am, get to know ranch horses; Noon-lunch; 1pm, crafts or swimming; 4pm, saddle up and ride; 7pm, bonfire & BBQ. Sunday – 10am, Cowboy Church; Noon-lunch; 1pm, Clicker Training & Demo; 3pm, saddle up and ride. $250/person; $200 if you bring your own horse. DeAnna Doane, 620-386-4624, www.pondarosainn.com, email pondarosainn.com, or message on Facebook.
- 3 5th Annual Perry State Park Benefit Ride & Fundraiser for Wild Horse Trails & Campground. Click on links for ride flyer & registration.
- 14 Clinton Trails Work Day. Meet at 10am, Rockhaven Campground. Bring chainsaws and hand trimming/pruning tools. Horses optional. Pre-arranged atv’s will be available for transportation. Late lunch provided. RSVP to Diana Skinner, email@example.com, 785-748-0850. Additional work days scheduled for Sept. 17 and 18.
- 14-18 Best of America by Horseback Jesse James Trail Ride, Clay County, MO. Come join us for a Weekend Ride on The Westward Trailways. You will get to ride on historic trails where Jesse James and the Gang once rode and take part in the Living History Ride on the James Farm. This will be a filmed trail ride with Best of America by Horseback TV hosts Tom Seay and Del Shields, and you may have the chance to appear on RFD-TV’s Best of America by Horseback TV Show. The weekend package includes ticket to the Jesse James Festival, Rodeo and an authentic Kansas City BBQ Dinner. Complete registration details are on our website at www.claycountymo.gov/bestofamerica. Event updates are posted on our Facebook page, like us at facebook.com/claycountyhorsetrails and find out the latest on the event section. $175/rider; $75/non-rider. Camping and equestrian accommodations available upon request. To register call Rachel at 816-407-3652, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 15 Open Breed Pleasure Stakes and POA Show, Kansas State Fair, Hutchinson. Great family fun, exceptional awards, easily accessible stalls, fun games for all ages, RV hookups, snacks and drinks available. All shows pre-enter the Monday before show date. For more information and entry forms, go to www.KansasPOA.com; or call President Kyle Nordick, 316-807-4988, or Show Secretary Linda Cherry, 316-708-0978.
- 17 Equine Trail Sports Obstacle Course, CWin Ranch, Edgerton. Ride for fun, ride to learn. Get more info at: email@example.com, 913-963-8823, or www.equinetrailsports.com.
- 17 Clinton Trails Work Day. Meet at 10am, Rockhaven Campground. Bring chainsaws and hand trimming/pruning tools. Horses optional. Pre-arranged atv’s will be available for transportation. Late lunch provided. RSVP to Diana Skinner, firstname.lastname@example.org, 785-748-0850. Additional work day scheduled for Sept 18.
- 17-18 UHCA Race and Colt Challenge, Flint Hills Rodeo Grounds, Strong City. UHCA race is Sunday; full day of events on Saturday benefit the Flint Hills Rodeo Assoc. Details at www.ultimatehca.com.
- 18 Clinton Trails Work Day. Meet at 10am, Rockhaven Campground. Bring chainsaws and hand trimming/pruning tools. Horses optional. Pre-arranged atv’s will be available for transportation. Late lunch provided. RSVP to Diana Skinner, email@example.com, 785-748-0850.
- 23-25 21st Annual Critter Care Benefit Trail Ride, Perry State Park. Adults, $35; Kids 12 and under, $15. Registration includes Saturday night BBQ, prize drawings, and entertainment by Borderline. Ride 10am Saturday. Proceeds benefit Critter Care Spay/Neuter Assistance Program. 785-478-9985 or find us on Facebook.
- 24 KCDA Schooling Show, Udall. Find more information on KCDA on Facebook or at www.kansascowboydressage.com.
- 24 Double J Barrel Races. Cash preferred so there can be a cash payout. Each cash entry will be entered into the drawing for that specific jackpot. Exhibitions 5-6 PM MT; Run (peewee/open/youth/senior) at 6:30 PM; Payout/concession break; Extra Credit Race. Exhibitions $4 each; Open $25;Youth & Senior $12; PeeWee $5. Open – $250 Added 4D format 1/2 second splits 75% payback. Youth/Senior 3D format full second splits 80% payback. PeeWee Race format 100% payback (everyone who entered gets paid something). Extra Credit Race No added money & doesn’t count towards points, no age class. $20 entry fee 80% payback 4D format 1/2, 1/2, full second splits. FMI: 785-259-7339 or DoubleJBarrelRaces@gmail.com.
- 24-25 2nd Annual Trail Ride to Benefit Rockin’ K Campground, Kanopolis Lake. Saturday, 9:30am – guided ride; 6pm, potluck supper, live auction, raffle. Sunday, 9am – breakfast followed by ride. $25/rider (includes one raffle ticket and Sunday breakfast). Reserve your campsite at www.reserveamerica.com. Become a $50 sponsor by June 30 and receive a t-shirt. T-shirts available at ride, $15. Raffle tickets 5/$1. All proceeds benefit upgrades and improvements to the Rockin’ K Campground. Contact: Tracy McIntyre, 620-680-0935.
Kanopolis Benefit Ride Flyer
- 30-Oct 2 PondaRosa Women’s Horse Retreat, 1000 S. Lorraine, Hutchinson. Bring your own horse or use one of ours and spend the weekend bonding with horses and other women. Bring a friend! Meals and lodging provided. Friday – 6pm, Check-in, Meet & Greet, Supper. Saturday – 8am, breakfast; 10am, get to know ranch horses; Noon-lunch; 1pm, crafts or swimming; 4pm, saddle up and ride; 7pm, bonfire & BBQ. Sunday – 10am, Cowboy Church; Noon-lunch; 1pm, Clicker Training & Demo; 3pm, saddle up and ride. $250/person; $200 if you bring your own horse. DeAnna Doane, 620-386-4624, www.pondarosainn.com, email pondarosainn.com, or message on Facebook.
- 1 UHCA Race @ Burlington Fall Celebration, Kelly Park Rodeo Arena, Burlington. Details at www.ultimatehca.com.
- 1-2 Trail Ride to Benefit Rockhaven Equestrian Camp & Trails, Clinton Lake. Campers may arrive Friday; share potluck at Shelter House Friday evening with live music by Bluestem. All-day ride Saturday to west end of trails; pack your lunch. Shorter rides available or ride on own. Homemade chili and pie Saturday evening followed by auction. Breakfast served Sunday am, then ride to dam and back. Reserve your campsite at reserveamerica.com. $25/each; $15 for kids age 12 and under. All proceeds benefit Rockhaven Campground and South Shore trails. Contact Diana Skinner, 785-748-0850 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Clinton Trailride Flyer 2016
- 7-9 Trail Ride to Benefit Eisenhower State Park Equestrian Campgrounds & Trails, Melvern Lake. Call the ESP State Park Office to reserve a campsite, 785-528-4102.
2016 ESP Ride Flyer
2016 ESP Ride Registration
- 8 Operation Gelding Castration Clinic Sponsored by Rainbow Meadows Equine Rescue, Winfield Fairgrounds, 1105 W. 9th, Winfield. Free castration clinic and other discounted veterinary services. Castration – Free; Coggins – $20; Flu/Rhino – $20; EWT/WN – $50; Rabies – $10; Wolf Teeth Removal – $10. Advanced registration required. Contact Karen Everhart, 620-725-3402.
- 8-9 – All Mule Ride at Gypsum Hills Trail Rides, Medicine Lodge. $40/each; potluck dinner Saturday night; breakfast provided Sunday am. Find more information or make reservation at www.gypsumhillstrailrides.com.
- 15 Equine Trail Sports Obstacle Course, CWin Ranch, Edgerton. Ride for fun, ride to learn. Get more info at: email@example.com, 913-963-8823, or www.equinetrailsports.com.
- 22 Kansas Horse Council Fall Ride in the Flint Hills of Chase County. Join the KHC on a ride across private ranch lands to the site of the Knute Rockne Memorial, which marks the location of the plane crash that took the life of the legendary Notre Dame football coach. Lunch will be provided. For more info: Jim Thomas, 785-633-4761.
KHC Fall Ride Flyer 2016
2016 Fall Ride Release Form
- 22-23 KCDA Jean Luc Connille Science of Motion Clinic with KSU, Manhattan. Find more information on Kansas Cowboy Dressage Association on Facebook or at www.kansascowboydressage.com.
- 3 The Kansas Horse Council is excited to announce that Dr. Temple Grandin will be the featured speaker at Horse Care 101, KSU, Manhattan! Dr. Grandin is a world-renowned autism spokesperson and consultant on animal behavior. She was one of the 2010 Times magazine’s top 100 of most influential people in the world. “ Dr. Grandin is an autistic American professor of animal science at Colorado State University, world-renowned autism spokesperson and consultant to the livestock industry on animal behavior. She is widely celebrated as one of the first individuals on the autism spectrum to publicly share insights from her personal experience of autism. She is also the inventor of the “hug box”, a device to calm those on the autism spectrum. In the 2010 Time 100, an annual list of the one hundred most influential people in the world, she was named in the “Heroes” category. She was the subject of the award-winning, semi-biographical film, Temple Grandin.” Stay tuned for registration information!