Calendar of Events:
*Please keep in mind that due to weather and a whole host of other reasons, the dates of events may change or an event may even be canceled. If there is any doubt, call before you haul.
Please send us your upcoming events! Send an e-mail with the particulars to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘KHC Calendar’ in the subject line. You may also send events to: KHC Events, 8831 Quail Lane, Suite 201, Manhattan, KS 66502.
♦ Kansas Cowboy Dressage Association has released the 2015 Schedule of Events and the 2015 Show Bill.
Click on the links – kcda flyer 2015 KCDAShowBill2015 (2)
♦ Flying W Ranch in the heart of the Kansas Flint Hills has a 2015 calendar full of dates for Cattle Drives, Trail Rides, Bringing Home the Remuda, the Rodeo Weekend, Moonlight Rides, and more!. Ride their ranch horses or bring your own. For more info: www.flinthillsflyingw.com, email@example.com, or call Gwen at 620-340-2802.
♦ Pretty Prairie Saddle Club has released their schedule of activities for 2015. Check out http://prettyprairiesaddleclub.com or check out of Facebook. Fun shows, trail rides, and other events just about every weekend March thru August.
♦ North East Kansas Small Area Group (NEKSAG) is a family friendly competitive horse show environment with many 4-H members placing at the State Fair each year. www.neksaganythinghorses.com
Find out more: NEKSAG color flyer NEKSAG 2015 Schedule: NEKSAG 2015 Schedule
♦ Douglas County Trail Riders offers a wide range of activities and educational events including trail rides, horse shows, cowboy challenge courses, clinics, parades, fundraisers, community service, social events and parties. See our upcoming events at www.dctr.org or follow us on Facebook.
- 25 Better Equine Customer Appreciation Day, 29545 Pleasant Valley Rd, Paola. Specials on everything in stock, kid’s activities, bring your horse and ride 60 acres of trails and hay field, clinics, demos. Concessions from Smokey’s BBQ. For more info: www.betterequine.com.
- 1 Rainbow Meadows Freeze Branding Clinic, Rainbow Meadows Ranch, 1949 Dalton Rd, Sedan. Clinic begins at 11:30am – by appointment only. Horse owners may use the Rainbow Meadows brand or bring their own freeze branding iron. $40/horse payable to clinician. For appointment, call Karen Everhart, 316-648-5082.
- 2 AQHA Ride Program Trail Ride, Sponsored by Frontier Western Celebration, El Dorado Lake. Boulder Bluff Area #2. Free to public. 9am – Check-in; 10am, Ride; 12:30, BBQ lunch provided to all riders; 2-4pm, Afternoon ride. For more information about the Frontier Western Celebration, Jul 30-Aug 2, or to pre-register: Greg Wiley, 316-323-2222 or www.frontierwesterncelebration.com. Contact El Dorado State Park to reserve campsites, which can include electricity and corrals, 316-321-7180.
- 8-9 2015 Cowboy Dressage Clinic with Bill Walton, Sponsored by Kansas Cowboy Dressage Association, Starner Ranch & Arena, 28310 Woodland Rd, Paola. “Using Dressage to Improve Horsemanship” – Riders: $250; Audit: $10/day; Stalls: $35/weekend. Each rider gets a private, one-hour lesson with Bill each day. To register or for more info: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 785-268-1015.
- 9 Syracuse Saddle Club Play Days, Syracuse. Events include Egg & Spoon, Flag Race, Poles, Pick Up Race, Key Hole, Barrel Racing. Free for Saddle Club members; $2/class or $10/day for non-members. PeeWee, ages 1-9; Youth 1, ages 10-13; Youth 2, ages 14-17; Adult, ages 18-49; Seniors, 50+. First class begins at 1:30pm MST. Year End Awards for Members. Saddle Club memberships, $100/family. More info: 785-259-7339 or 620-353-3728.
- 29 UHCA Race, Big River Ranch, 20111 Goodloe Orchard Rd, Lexington. 7:30am. www.ultimatehca.com/event-1824786. UHCA (Ultimate Horsemens Challenge Association) welcomes riders of all levels, providing eight challenge divisions allowing riders to compete against other riders at similar levels. Fun for the entire family; great way to have fun and improve horsemanship and communication. Events challenge horse and rider to maneuver obstacles while demonstrating skill, finesse, horsemanship, and speed. Score given for each obstacle, and riders are also judged on overall horsemanship. Compete for cash, prizes, and year-end awards. Contact info: Greg Schuetz, 785-409-8221, email@example.com, www.ultimatehca.com.
- 30 Side Saddle Clinic and Trail Ride, hosted by Bill & Linda Price, 15605 Day Rd, Onaga. 1:30pm, Ellen Noll will speak about side saddles. Ellen rebuilds side saddles. Linda Price has been riding her side saddle since she was in her teens and will also speak and distribute information. A 2-3 hour trail ride will follow the side saddle clinic in the north end of the Flint Hills. This is the same area where the Kansas Horse Council held their Fall 2014 ride, so be prepared to ride hills and rocks. Bring your own horse and English or western tack. A pot luck meal at the Brave River Ranch will complete the day. Bring your lawn chair and a dish to share. Tea, lemonade, and tableware will be provided. Brave River Ranch is located 6 miles south of Onaga. From Hwy 24, go north on Onaga Rd to Aiken Switch Rd and east to Day Rd. From St. Marys, go north on Hwy 63 to Aiken Switch Rd to Day Rd. The ranch is one mile north of that intersection. Please leave dogs at home. Call Linda for more info, 785-889-4800. Rain date, September 6.
- 4-6 Cowboy Dressage Clinic and Schooling Show with Nan Funkhouser, Antelope Creek Horse Co., 982 N. Oxford Rd., Udall. $195/rider; $10/day to audit; $10/weekend for horse pen; $10/weekend for bunkhouse or trailer hookups. Each rider gets Friday evening group discussion; 60-minute individual lesson Saturday; 30-minute individual lesson Sunday; two Cowboy Dressage schooling tests Sunday. Riders observe and learn during other’s individual lessons. Limit 8 riders. Contact: Room2Run@aol.com or 316-250-5291.
- 5 4th Annual Perry State Park Benefit Trail Ride. Hosted by Friends of Lake Perry Horse Trails. Proceeds benefit Wild Horse Camp and trails at Perry Lake. $10/rider; $5/non-riders. Free entrance to State Park. Ride the trails on your own, or follow a guided ride. Registration begins at 9:30am. 10am – 3-hour guided ride on Rocky Top Trails; 10:30 am – guided ride on Perry State Park trails; 11:30am – short guided ride on Perry State Park trails. 1pm – Covered dish dinner; hamburgers & hot dogs, buns, condiments, chips, tableware provided by Friends group. 1:30pm – Report on projects completed since last year, future projects, financial report followed by live auction. Donations of cash or auction items welcomed. Bring a covered dish and your lawn chair. Contact Perry State Park, 785-246-3449, to reserve improved camp site. Lots of room available for primitive camping or day parking. Join in Sunday morning at 9am at Cowboy Crossroads Church at Williamstown (east of Perry) at the corner of Hwys 24 & 59. Biscuits & gravy served for $2 donation to provide Rodeo School Scholarships to CCC Youth. Plenty of trailer parking available. Questions – contact Jo Turner or Dewayne Burgess, 785-484-3033 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 5 National Trail Ride for Open Trail, Labor Day Weekend, Rockhaven Park, Clinton Lake. Ride & Learn; Support Open Trail in its goal to provide the largest repository of horse trails in the US and support organizations that maintain and advocate for horse trails. Ride free; riders responsible for camping reservations and costs. Saturday evening meal, $7-10. Details still pending. Raffle items and drawings following dinner. Proceeds to Back Country Horsemen of America Kansas Chapter and Open Trail website. Learn how to record and upload GPS data to Open Trail website. Contact Troy Lynn, email@example.com.
- 20 UHCA Race, Flint Hills Asso, Strong City. 7:30am. www.ultimatehca.com/event-1824787. UHCA (Ultimate Horsemens Challenge Association) welcomes riders of all levels, providing eight challenge divisions allowing riders to compete against other riders at similar levels. Fun for the entire family; great way to have fun and improve horsemanship and communication. Events challenge horse and rider to maneuver obstacles while demonstrating skill, finesse, horsemanship, and speed. Score given for each obstacle, and riders are also judged on overall horsemanship. Compete for cash, prizes, and year-end awards. Contact info: Greg Schuetz, 785-409-8221, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.ultimatehca.com.
- A Special Peace Treaty Trail Ride Event with Tom Seay and Best of America by Horseback, Gypsum Hills Trail Rides, Gant-Larson Ranch, Medicine Lodge. Spots limited. Contact email@example.com, www.gypsumhillstrailrides.com, or 620-886-9822.
- 25-27 Indian Peace Treaty Pageant & Kansas Championship Rodeo Weekend, Medicine Lodge. www.gypsumhillstrailrides.com. Gant-Larson Ranch and the Gyp Hills Trail Ride will be hosting visitors for the 2015 Indian Peace Treaty Pageant and the annual Kansas Championship Ranch Rodeo. Stay the weekend to ride and attend these exciting events. The Medicine Lodge Indian Peace Treaty Pageant commemorates the great Peace Council of 1867 between the US Government and the proud civilization of the Plains Indians. To learn more about the event, go to www.PeaceTreaty.org. Kansas Championship Ranch Rodeo features working cowboys competing in events much like the day work on their ranches. This exciting event is sanctioned by the Working Ranch Cowboy Association, and the winning team will qualify for the World Championship Ranch Rodeo event in Amarillo, TX.
- 26-27 Critter Care’s Annual Benefit Trail Ride, Perry State Park, Perry Lake. Adults $35/Kids 12 and under, $15. More info to come. www.crittercareoftopeka.com or find us on Facebook, Critter Care Benefit Trail Ride.
- 3 UHCA Race, C5T Ranch, 11784 SW 30th, Benton. 7:30am. www.ultimatehca.com/event-1824788. UHCA (Ultimate Horsemens Challenge Association) welcomes riders of all levels, providing eight challenge divisions allowing riders to compete against other riders at similar levels. Fun for the entire family; great way to have fun and improve horsemanship and communication. Events challenge horse and rider to maneuver obstacles while demonstrating skill, finesse, horsemanship, and speed. Score given for each obstacle, and riders are also judged on overall horsemanship. Compete for cash, prizes, and year-end awards. Contact info: Greg Schuetz, 785-409-8221, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.ultimatehca.com.
- 3 Trail Ride to Benefit Rockhaven Equestrian Camp, Clinton Lake. Save the date, and stay tuned for details!
- 9-11 Salina Charity Horse Show. Salina Charity Horse will be back for 2015! Come join us for the fun on October 9th – 11th of 2015 in Salina, Kansas. Saddle Type Judge: Renea Van Zomeren. Western Judge: TBA. Follow Salina Charity Horse Show on Facebook.
- 10-11 Trail Ride to Benefit West Point Equestrian Camp and Trails at Eisenhower State Park, Melvern Lake. Save the date, and stay tuned for details!
- 10-11 Gyp Hills Trail Rides All Mule Ride, Gant-Larson Ranch, Medicine Lodge. www.gypsumhillstrailrides.com. Located on the Gant-Larson Ranch outside Medicine Lodge, KS, the Gyp Hills Trail Rides welcomes long-eared equine riders to the ranch every second weekend in October. Trail guides will lead you and your mount on a special Mule and Donkey only ride designed especially for long-eared equine. We also will hold the Extreme Trail Ride Competition during this weekend event. This ride is usually a bit noisier than our other rides, but we really look forward to this special weekend every year!
- 17-18 Fall Ride in the Flint Hills with the Kansas Horse Council. Ride the beautiful rolling hills of Pottawatomie County ranch lands. Go to the KHC home page for links to ride flyer and registration form. Contact: KHC Office, 785-776-0662 or email@example.com or Jim Thomas, 785-633-4761 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 17-18 Kansas Cowboy Dressage Association Fall Gathering with Dianne Olds Fossi, R&D Ranch, 2131 SE 41st, Topeka. Riders will participate in one group session each day. $400/rider; $10/day to audit; $35/weekend for stall. Full payment holds spot. Sheryl, 785-640-0550 or email@example.com. Membership Celebration Dinner, Saturday evening. RSVP and $15 by October 10 to Margo, 34050 W. 127th, Olathe 66061. Silent Auction – send pictures of donation items to Rachel, firstname.lastname@example.org. Evening includes Dianne Olds Fossi lecture. Location: Strathman Sales, 4235 SW Burlingame Rd, Topeka.
- 17-18 Winter Breeze Trail Ride to Benefit Rockin’ K Campground, Kanopolis. Ride Saturday at 10am. Evening chili cookoff with auction. $25/each includes one raffle ticket and Sunday breakfast. Additional raffle tickets available for $1/ea. $50 sponsorship includes t-shirt. Door prizes. All proceeds go to improvements at Rockin’ K Campground. Contacts: Tracy Mcintyre, 620-680-0935 or Sherry Axman, 620-786-4294.
- 14 Horse Care 101, co-sponsored by the Kansas Horse Council and Kansas State University. Details pending.